The Chronology Report is unique within Timeline Maker Pro, because most of its customization is drawn from your preferences in the Timeline Data tab. For example: preferences of column names, order, and width will be duplicated in the Chronology Report. For more information on making adjustments in the Timeline Data tab, see also: Customizing the Timeline Data tab.
Further Chronology Report customization options can be found in the Chart tab. These include Sort By, Border, Footer and Columns.
In this article
- Sorting events
- Including a border
- Modifying the footer
- Choosing columns
- Selecting date & time display format
- Renaming the Chronology Report
By default, the program will organize your Chronology Report according to the sort order of the data in the Timeline Data tab. You can adjust this using the Sort By function.
To sort events:
- In the Chart tab, Chart group, click the Sort By button. Choose the option you wish to sort by from the drop down menu.
Tip: Events may be sorted by any of the data included in the columns of the Timeline Data tab.
Including a border
You can have a thin, black, rectangular border surrounding the outside of your report.
To turn the border on or off:
- Click the Chart tab.
- In the Chart group, click Border. A checkmark in the checkbox indicates that border will be included on the report.
Modifying the footer
By default, the program uses “Created with Timeline Maker Pro v4. Produced on [today’s date].” You can modify the text, or choose to remove the footer completely from your Chronology Report.
To turn the footer on or off:
- While viewing the Chronology Report, click the Chart tab.
- In the Chart group, click Footer. A checkmark in the checkbox indicates that footer will be included in the Chronology Report.
To modify footer text:
- Double-click on the footer.
- Edit the text as desired.
- Press Enter or click anywhere on the Chronology Report to accept the changes.
Tip: To change the default footer text, select File > Options > Chart and enter the new default text in the footer text box.
The Chronology Report can include any of the columns found in the Timeline Data tab, except for the checkbox and attachment columns.
To include or exclude a column:
- While viewing your Chronology Report, click the Chart tab.
- In the Show group, click the Columns button and select the column you wish to include/exclude from the drop down list. A checkmark indicates that the column will be included in the Chronology Report.
Note: Column name, width, sequence and data sort order are all customized in the Timeline Data tab. For more information, see also: Customizing the Timeline Data tab.
Selecting date & time display format
To customize how the date and time are displayed in the Chronology Report:
- While viewing the Chronology Report, select the Chart tab.
- In the Date Display group, click the Date Format button.
- Select the desired display style. A checkmark indicates the style in use.
Tip: If you have dates and times listed for your events but only wish to show times or vice versa, in the Date Format list select either No Date to show only the time, or No Time to show only the date, according to your preference.
Note: For more information on customizing dates in timeline charts, see also: Customizing Date & Time Display.
Renaming the Chronology Report
When you create a Chronology Report you will notice that the title bar reads “Title.” Timeline Maker Pro uses this as a default until you rename your chronology. After you give your Chronology Report a new title, it will be saved for the current file unless you decide to change it at a later time.
To rename the Chronology Report:
- While viewing the Chronology Report, double click anywhere on the title.
- Edit the text. When finished, press Enter on your keyboard or click anywhere in the Chronology Report to accept the changes.
Need more help with this?
Don’t hesitate to contact us here.