If you have timeline data in another program there is no need to re-type the information into Timeline Maker Pro. Instead, you can use the Import feature to import the information into a timeline file. The program can import a comma separated value (CSV), a tab delimited text file (TXT), an MS Project file (MPP, a Timeline Maker Pro (TLMP) or a Timeline Maker Student (TLM) file.
Note: When importing Timeline Maker Pro or Timeline Maker Student files, only event data will be imported. Timeline charts, pictures, attachments, etc. will not be included in the import.
To import a file:
- Select File > Import or click Import Wizard in the Home tab, Data group.
- In the Import Wizard, click the Browse button to browse to and select the file you wish to import (supported file types: CSV, TXT, MPP, TLMP, TLM). Please note that if not importing a CSV or TXT file, you will need to click the down arrow in the File Type drop down menu and select the desired file type.
- If importing a CSV or TXT file, click the corresponding Delimited by option: Comma or Tab.
- Your data will appear in the Map Fields section. You can manually map the fields by clicking the down arrow in each column and selecting the column name. Alternatively, you can type in a new column name. Note: If importing data with event ID numbers, use ID for the column name. See Custom Event ID for more information on event ID numbers.
Tip: If you plan to import multiple files with the same columns, you should select Save Map and save your settings as a CSV file. This will allow you to use the same settings for other imports by clicking the Load Map button and browsing to your saved file.
- If your data file has a column header you can select My file contains a header. The program will then ignore the header row, rather than trying to add it as a separate event.
- If desired, you can apply a category name to all imported events. To do so, click the checkbox beside Apply this category to imported events and enter the desired category name in the text box below. Please note that if you choose to do this, any category information in your imported data will be overwritten with the new category name.
- Click the Import button.
Tip: All the events will be imported into the current timeline file, however they will only be added to the timeline currently selected in the Chart List, or the last viewed timeline chart. If you wish to show them in other timeline charts, you will need to select the chart, then return to the Timeline Data tab and place a checkmark in the checkbox next to the imported events.
Need more help with this?
Don’t hesitate to contact us here.