The Chronology Timeline is unique within Timeline Maker Pro, because most of its customization is drawn from your preferences in the Event List. For example: preferences of column names, order, and width, as well as the order of the data in the Event List will be duplicated in the Chronology. For more information on making adjustments in the Event List, see also: Customizing the Event List.
Further Chronology Timeline customization options can be found in the Home tab or the Chronology, Format tab. These include border, footer and columns.
In this article
- Including a border
- Modifying the footer
- Choosing columns
- Selecting date & time display format
- Renaming the chronology
Including a border
You can have a thin, black, rectangular border surrounding the outside of your timeline.
To turn the border on or off:
- Click the Home or Chronology, Format tab.
- In the Show group, click Border. A checkmark in the checkbox indicates that border will be included on the timeline.
Modifying the footer
By default, the program uses “Created with Timeline Maker Pro v3. Produced on [today’s date].” You can modify the text, or choose to remove the footer completely from your Chronology Timeline.
To turn the footer on or off:
- While viewing the Chronology Timeline, click the Home or Chronology, Format tab.
- In the Show group, click Footer. A checkmark in the checkbox indicates that footer will be included in the Chronology Timeline.
To modify footer text:
- Double-click on the footer.
- Edit the text as desired.
- Press Enter or click anywhere on the Chronology Timeline to accept the changes.
Tip: To change the default footer text, select File > Options > Chart and enter the new default text in the footer text box.
The Chronology Timeline can include any of the columns found in the Event List, except for the checkbox and linked files columns.
To include or exclude a column:
- While viewing your Chronology Timeline, click the Chronology, Format tab.
- In the Show group, click the Columns button and select the column you wish to include/exclude from the drop down list. A checkmark indicates that the column will be included in the Chronology Timeline.
Note: Column name, width, sequence and data sort order are all customized in the Event List. For more information, see also: Customizing the Event List.
Selecting date & time display format
To customize how the date and time are displayed in the Chronology Timeline:
- While viewing the Chronology Timeline, select the Format tab.
- In the Show group, click the Display Format button.
- Select the desired display style. A checkmark indicates the style in use.
Tip: If you have dates and times listed for your events but only wish to show times or vice versa, in the Display Format list select either No Date to show only the time, or No Time to show only the date, according to your preference.
Note: For more information on customizing dates in timeline charts, see also: Customizing Date & Time Display.
Renaming the Chronology Timeline
When you create a Chronology Timeline you will notice that the title bar reads “Chart Title.” Timeline Maker Pro uses this as a default until you rename your chronology. After you give your Chronology Timeline a new title, it will be saved for the current file unless you decide to change it at a later time.
To rename the Chronology Timeline:
- While viewing the Chronology Timeline, double click anywhere on the title.
- Edit the text. When finished, press Enter on your keyboard or click anywhere in the Chronology Timeline to accept the changes.
Need more help with this?
Don’t hesitate to contact us here.